Thursday, May 3, 2007

Beyoncé Goes Bilingual – Only When Singing


Beyoncé is up to something new: singing in Spanish. "I just feel like I have to learn Spanish because I can sing it – I just can't speak it," she says in the new issue of PEOPLE En Español. On April 3 she'll release a new version of her CD B-Day, which originally came out in September. This time, she's added six new songs – all sung in Spanish, including "Amor Gitano," the theme to the Telemundo telenovela Zorro, which she delivers as a duet with Alejandro Fernandez. "A lot of my fans are Hispanic," she says, "and they've always told me, 'You should sing something in Spanish,' but I don't speak Spanish at all. I took it in school [so] I thought, let me give this a try."

And trying it was. "I did these songs phonetically, sentence by sentence, and I spent a lot of time ... making sure it was perfect, because I didn't want to disrespect the language, because it's so beautiful," says the Texas-born singer, 25, who brought help with her to the recording session. "One of my best friends in the world is Cuban, so she was the test. I brought her to the studio and told her, 'Be honest. You have to tell me if anything is wrong.' So when she approved it, I knew everything was right."

Would she ever do an entire album in Spanish? "I would love to," she says. "I wanted to see how people would respond to me singing in Spanish and I'm so grateful that people have opened up their hearts to what I've done."

Virtuagirl HD Girls